As I’ve gotten older my Saturday nights have gone from partying in London town to staying at home and cooking with my other half. As he is a chicken fiend we often find it difficult to decide on a cuisine or dish we both will be able to enjoy so we’ve now agreed that he can cook his protein whilst we both make a vegetarian dish together.
We’ve both been on a “health kick” recently and even though it was Saturday night we were adamant we wouldn’t let that sway our hard work at the gym and healthy eating during the week therefore we came up with this delicious dish – ABCD (Absolutely, Bright, Colourful and Delicious) Couscous. It’s vegan, healthy and super yummy!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did!
3 Spring Onions
1 -2 Romana peppers
1/2 Butternut Squash
½ Medium fiery chilli
150g of Couscous
Rind of a whole lemon
Glug of olive oil
Lemon juice from ½ a lemon
Small handful of parsley
Salt, pepper and oregano to taste
- Cut ½ a butternut squash in 1cm cube chunks and toss in olive oil and season with salt and pepper
- Place the butternut squash in a grease proof dish and place in the oven for 30 mins at 180 degrees
- Measure out 150g of couscous in a bowl and add in 200ml of boiling water and leave to the side for 5 mins
- Chop the spring onions, Romana peppers and place in a bowl (I like them at different sizes as it adds a different texture so cut them as you wish)
- Slice the chilli and add to the spring onions and peppers
- Fluff the couscous
- Once the butternut squash is roasted take it out of the oven and cool.
- Add the butternut squash and couscous to the spring onions, peppers and chilli and mix
- Grate lemon rind over the mixture and add the juice of the lemon
- Season with salt, pepper and oregano
- Pour in a good glug of olive oil and mix
- Place in a bowl and garnish with parsley
And most importantly… enjoy!