Buttery crumbly melt in your mouth short bread, what else do you need with a cup of tea. Here’s my (or should I say Mary Berry’s) recipe – which I adapted – for scrumptious shortbread.
200g butter (at room temperature)
125g caster sugar
300g self-raising flour
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
½ the juice of a lemon and the rind (optional if you want lemon short bread)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C /fan 160°C/ gas 4.
2. Place greaseproof paper on baking trays
3. Soften the butter and gradually beat in the sugar and add the vanilla extract
4. Then add in the flour slowly
Top tip – at this point I think its best to use your hands to combine the mixture together as the heat from your hands brings the dough together
5. Roll the dough until 5mm thick and then using a biscuit cutter
Top tip – the shortbread does increase in size so spread them apart when baking.
6. Bake for 15-18 minutes until slightly golden
7. Leave on the tray for a few minutes to firm up and then transfer to a cooling rack
8. Make yourself a cup of tea and dunk!
This recipe can be tweaked to be vegan friendly just use vegan butter.