As per my previous blog post I said I would post my top tips and here they are:
- Feel comfortable in what you wear when you run – it makes a lot of difference
- Invest in some good running shoes –they will make or break you!
- Create a playlist – upbeat music helps however I found sometimes soothing music works just as well, I guess it depends on your mood.
- Download a fitness app such as Nike+ or Map My Run (both are free!) or even the Couchto5K!
- Start your run backwards (not literally!) count down how many days or weeks you have until the big day and set yourself small goals for example: week 1 you want to be able to run 1k, by the 5th week you want to be able to run 5k and by the 12th week you want to be able to run 10k!
- If you are running with friends create a WhatsApp group for motivation or get a friend (who is brutally honest) to give you a reality check when you need it. It’s often easy to make up excuses to not go for your run but I promise you will feel a lot better about it
- Mix up your training with other exercises such as swimming, cycling, weights etc.
- Make sure you eat well – plenty of fresh fruit and veg – if you are time poor then try and prep on the weekend. Use healthy eating apps like MyFitnessPal to see what exactly you are eating. It’s a really good way to see how you are wasting away calories.
- Don’t forget rest days they are just as important as training!
Well that’s it for now! I’ll be sure to write a post after my run! Wish me luck!
Please note – I am not by any means a personal trainer, dietican etc however I followed the above tips and tricks that were passed on to me and they seemed to work!